27 April 2010

#216 - new job

as you may know, i've been looking for a job for a long time now. although i was working part time and paying the bills, it was not what i wanted. i got my RN last june and have since not had much luck finding a job as one. bummer, right? yes. so i opened up my search to include more than just the hospitals in the portland area. i opened my job search to include CNA work as well, which is what i've been doing for 5 years now. you would think it would be easy to find a job in something i've been doing for that long. so did i. as soon as the potential employer found out i had my RN they dismissed me, knowing i would keep looking for work and eventually quit.

i applied to a CNA position i found on craigslist at Gateway Care & Retirement on 4/10. they called me on 4/12 and i interviewed on 4/13. they were just as baffled to find that i couldn't find a job as a RN but instead of thinking that me having my RN was bad, they were excited. i got the job, signed papers on 4/14 and started working as a CNA on 4/15. i talked to the DNS (director of nursing services) and he was encouraging. the plan/idea was for me to get some experience in the place and get to know the facility, then eventually train me to pass meds, do treatment nurse and eventually charge nurse. it was really exciting and encouraging to know that the DNS was looking out for me and welcomed me aboard "the team". at my previous job the DNS was scary and not encouraging at all. so this was new.

training for the CNA position was great, i just got back right into the dressing, feeding, wiping, cleaning, showering, etc. i trained for four days, then had two days off before i was to start full time on day shift. i showed up on 4/22 when i was scheduled and found out that their CMA (med aide) had just quit the day before. they were wondering what to do and someone was like, "why doesn't Brandi do it?" since i am a RN i can pass the medications on my license. i talked to the DNS again and he said it sounded good, it would be difficult but i would have lots of help if i needed it. so the next day i started training on passing meds. the day shift med position starts at 5am so we are able to pass the 6am meds. unfortunately the bus does not run that early. i live about 4.5 miles from work and so in order to get there on time, i need to ride my bike. i leave around 4:30am. at that time i am not yet awake but there are not many cars on the road. by the time i get to work i am wide awake.

training went quickly and i learned a lot. the person who trained me had been doing it for 9 years so she had a lot of experience. she knew all the residents' meds inside and out. she knew everything i needed to know. it went quickly and there was a lot to learn. after training for three days i had one day off, then started on my own today. although i felt like i was kind of drowning slowly, it also felt like i would get it down eventually and it would become doable. the day goes incredibly fast because there are meds at 0600, 0730, 0800, 0930, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400. there are over 40 residents and they all get lots of meds at different times. i actually like work that keeps me busy the whole time so it suits me.

two more days on my own for day shift then i train on evening shift for two days. eventually my schedule will be two days on, two evenings on, two off then repeat. so i have rotating "weekends" and don't have to get up at 4am every day of the week. i'm looking forward to when that starts on may 6. all in all, i am glad i am working again.

1 comment:

nure nezumi said...

wow, isn't it funny how things work out eventually? like, i bet if you take a look back at all the significant changes in your life you might find that exactly NONE of them started off with a smooth beginning y'know? at least, that's what i've noticed. so it's a good thing that your first job didn't work out and now you're at a supportive job where they value your skills and encourage your growth. sweet! sounds like a lot of hard work in a very short amount of time, but i know you can do it... i mean, just the 4:30 bike rides alone speaks volumes... no way would i do that!