21 February 2008

#71 - life is short

i once had a 102 year old resident tell me "life is so short". and really it is. seeing people around you die and going to funerals really makes you think about death. it is coming, sooner or later. you really never know when. so what does that mean? you make the best of it.

no one knows how long they have and in the end all you have are memories and relationships. sure, you might have a big house, money, cars and fun toys but in the end you won't think "gee, i should've bought a bigger house". my uncle was 69 years old. some would say that's a short life, considering the average life span is now way over seventy. but he did the most with it. was a professor of education, a retired captain in the air force and a lovingly husband of over forty years.

reflecting on his full life and all his accomplishments only made me think about my future, my future and my funeral. it really was a wonderful funeral, funny memories and lots of laughter. he touched many lives and was a very modest person. what will people say of my life when it is over? i could only hope that it would be words used at my uncles funeral: kind, caring, gentle, loving, and smart.

although it may sound morbid to always be thinking of death, i do. but it is a constant reminder to me that life IS short and to really do something with it. certainly, sitting on the computer all day is not doing me much good. cultivate lasting and memorable relationships, eat lots of food and enjoy it, and most of all enjoy it. enjoy your life and share it with others, that's all we can do i guess.

No comments: